I have mentioned to my last post to prepare your documents for a K1 visa interview and medical examination while waiting your case number from NVC. You can do that too after getting your case number, you can do what is more practical to do for you, but for me I did my documents preparation and getting healthy while waiting our case number and after I get my case number I pay my visa to the bank and scheduled my interview and fill out the online registration for my medical examination. I have listed below all the documents I prepared for my K1 visa interview.
Note: Please bear in mind that this is just based on my K1 visa journey experienced and i am not giving any legal advice and i am not an immigration lawyer.
Documents Need To Prepare And Gather
1. US Passport Bio page (photocopy)
2. Photocopy of Birth Certificate
3. Letter of intent to marry (updated with signature and date)
4. Divorce decree (photocopy/if applicable)
5. I-129F packet (photocopy/if applicable)
6. NVC letter
9. RFE notice (photocopy/if applicable)
10. Passport travel stamps showing that you travel to your foreign fiance country
11. Form I-134 Affidavit of support (original)
12. Form 1040/ITR (photocopy) – latest 3 consecutive year
13. W-2 (photocopy) – latest 3 consecutive year
14. Pay stub (photocopy) – latest 3 consecutive months
15. Employment Certificate (photocopy) – optional
2. Birth certificate (original/PSA)
3. Police report (NBI clearance/original)
4. Police certificate from other countries if you work/live there more than 6months (original/if applicable)
5. Certificate of no marriage record (CENOMAR/original)
6. DS-160 (confirmation page)
7. Interview appointment confirmation form
8. MRV slip
9. Medical examination record
10. 3 pieces of 2×2 Visa picture (white background, write the full name at the back)
11. Black ink pen
Note: If your fiancé(e) is annulled to the Philippines, she needs to provide annulment decree and PSA marriage contract with annotation.
Evidence of genuine relationship:
1. Photos together
2. Screenshot or copy of chat logs and call logs or letter
3. Copy of airline tickets
4. Copy of hotel booked
5. Copy of each passport travel stamps, if you travel together
6. Remittances records
7. Photocopy of bank record if you have a joint account
8. Engagement ring or receipt of the ring
What To Do While Waiting
As I mentioned earlier and to my last post, you can prepare all your documents while waiting case number and even while waiting your interview schedule and the medical day you can do a lot of things to prepare. Here is the list you can do while waiting for your Visa journey and moving to the US.
- Prepare and gather all the documents listed above
- Stay Healthy
- Start to fill out your DS-160 once you get case number, Click here if you are ready to make a DS-160
- Review all information about your US citizen fiance
- Search online the possible question to a visa interview
- Learn how do drive if not yet know how to drive
- Ask a copy of Rules of the road to your Fiance and study it if you want
- Research about the state you are moving
- Pay all your previous loans if you have it
- Gather documents you need to bring if you have planned to work in the US
- Practice English to easily communicate once you move to the US.
Setting Up Of Visa Interview
Now that you already have your case number from NVC, the next thing you need to do is pay your K1 visa, way back 2016 the price of K1 visa in the Philippines is 12,720PHP ($265) but when I check the price of visa today it’s now 14,575PHP ($265) it’s always depends how much is the currency exchange. If your fiance is from the Philippines and wants to know where to get MRV slip just check this site and click Deposit Slip – $265 MRV Fee. But if you are from other countries just click this site and click the foreign fiance country where he/she is living and explore everything about applying for U. S Visa including visa fees. When you go to the bank you need to present your passport and case number or NVC letter but most of the time the bank staff just get your passport, the MRV slip, and the fee, they don’t look to the case number. But to make sure you better bring your NVC letter or case number from online just in case they want it. After paying the visa you can now schedule your K1 visa interview to the US embassy, click here if your fiancee is from the Philippines and wants to make an appointment.
Here is the sample of MRV slip
Setting Up Of Medical Examination
After you pay your visa and schedule your interview you can now set up your medical examination. Maybe in other countries, they have different process how to undergo medical for a K1 visa but in the Philippines, you have to take medical exam 2 weeks before your interview date. To do that you have to register online through St Luke extension clinic (SLEC) website they are the only one approved medical center of US Embassy in the Philippines. After filling up a form to St Luke website they will send you the online registration form. Upon arrival at SLEC, the applicant’s will be accommodated on a first come first served basis. NO APPOINTMENT IS NECESSARY. Your online registration forms aim to reduce registration time by having most of the applicant’s information ready upon arrival at the registration area. I remembered during my medical examination the old lady beside my chair print a wrong registration form, she had no choice but to fill out the new form manually in the registration area. She is earlier than me, she is number 5 I’m number 6 on the line. The staff doesn’t let her back to her position, she gets a new number and become I think number 50 in the line. It’s very important to have SLEC online registration because it’s less hassle plus you need to make sure that you bring all the requirements. Click here to SLEC registration online if your fiance is from the Philippines.
Here is the list of requirements you need to bring to the medical exam:
- Valid passport
- Appointment letter (2 copies of SLEC Registration form)
- 2 copies of US embassy interview appointment
- 2 copies of Passport bio page
- 2 copies of NVC letter or Screenshot of “READY” status case number from online
- 4 pieces of 2×2 US visa picture (white background write the full name at the back – make sure picture has no any smear)
- Payment of 11,300/$245 (that was the year 2016 price)
- DS-160 Confirmation page (optional)
- Black pen
For more info, you can visit
St. Luke extension clinic official website
Everything Is Set
Now that everything is set, you have paid your K1 visa and scheduled your interview and done doing SLEC online registration. The next thing you need to do is print your interview appointment and online registration form because you need to present it to the staff of SLEC including the other documents listed above. If you are living far in Manila, start to research safe and close hotels to SLEC before your intended date of medical exam. And remember 2 weeks before your K1 visa interview is the best time to undergo a medical examination at SLEC.
We just pay Visa services because I and my husband are both busy to our work plus the major reason is we need to apply K1 visa and CRBA of our daughter at the same time which is confusing for us but if it’s only K1 visa I believed we can do it on our own.
Here are some tips for you to do if you want to start to file K1 visa for your foreign fiancé(e) or if your budget is tight:
- Go to the USCIS official website and get information about K1 visa.
- Buy K1 visa step by step guide, Their guide is a big help if you can’t afford or don’t want to pay immigration lawyer or visa services.
- Join the Facebook group that exclusively for a K1/Spousal visa only.
- Don’t be shy to ask for help inside FB group, they are willing to help anyone.
- Do a research about K1 visa to google and YouTube, people who have been through to this process are willing to help for free through their blogs and story.
Hope those tips can help you and don’t forget to work together as a team with love and care, avoid misunderstanding just because one does not agree to the decision, before you know it you are done to K1 process.
Please visit and like married to a foreigner facebook page click here
If you are a Filipino married to a foreigner or even not yet married I’m inviting you both to join Married to a Foreigner facebook group click here